Saturday, June 12, 2010

My Dad

My dad wasn’t a bad man, as far as the flesh is concerned; he did his best to raise his children in the bewilderment of a rapidly changing world. He never did tell me that he loved me; I never heard him praise me for well doing, but I know that “in his own way” he loved me, and I grew up with the hope that I had pleased him and become someone he could be proud of. It didn’t work out that way, unfortunately. He passed away many years ago at the ripe old age of sixty-four; he left little behind for us in the way of preparing us for the world and its wiles, whether monetarily or in the framework of wisdom. My dad, as far as I know, was never saved.

My God? He is everything my dad was not! He is loving, and kind, and full of compassion for His own, as well as for strangers. I love my God with all my heart--but I never really learned how to love my dad in the same way; I never seemed to live up to his expectations. Not that I live up to the Lord’s expectations, not by a long shot, but my Lord treats me better in spite of myself. Even when I fail Him, he is there to carry me through; oh, He punishes when necessary, but then He gently leads me out of mischief, and into a cradle of grace. My earthly dad never knew what grace was, at least he never let us know if he knew! I thank my God for being what I need Him to be; I thank Him greatly, and praise Him for being a Father unto me. Please do not think badly of my earthly father, he did not know any better--he did what he felt was best, but my Heavenly Father, He always does what is best, whether I think it good or not! He knows what’s best.

If your dad did not live up to your expectations of what a father should be, The Lord will, guaranteed! Make God your Father, and see what being a father is all about. With Christ as my friend, and God as my Father, I cannot go wrong (though I do many times!).

No comments:

Post a Comment