Thursday, October 1, 2009

EMOTIONALISM?

We all know that there is much more to love than simply emotion, but I think we often forget that it is more than an outward act of pity too! This “outward act” toward the “down and out” can be a cloak for our pride and superiority. Our outlook toward the “poor” or otherwise “miserable wretches” can motivate our false desire to “help” them, thereby causing them to be “beholding” to us! I think that this, in many ways, is a problem in our churches today, (of course, everyone thinks he has the answer for the problems of the church today, but none seem to be making any impact, or effort, to change them!) I’ve said it before, and will, no doubt, say it again, “we need to have heart.” We need to compassionately, sincerely and truthfully learn to love others.

Every man thinks that “no problem is as big as my own” and “no one cares about my problems like I do,” and, unfortunately, they are right! (with the exception of Christ, of course.) No advice is as good as God’s advice, and none can be of any more help than Him. I am so sick of people telling me, off the cuff, the solution to my problems, or what I need to do. These same people soon go about their business, and leave me and my problem to “fend for ourselves.” So soon do we forget the hurt of others. Oh that our advice would be thought out, and followed through, and borne out of compassion and true concern as Christ’s was. Lord help ME to apply this to my life, and the needs of others, if and when I give advice!

Though many problems seem so silly and insignificant to us, what are they to those who are under the burden of them? Let us not take too lightly those things that hinder others, those stumbling blocks, if you will. A lawyer will only care as long as you pay him to; most friends will only care as long as we are on good terms with them, but Jesus always cares. The lawyer will not put his heart into the problem with the earnestness of a friend, and a friend will not be as diligent, no not even close, to the diligence that the Lord will give it. So it is sometimes with preachers! Only the Spirit-filled man of God can help, by God’s grace, and not by his own wisdom or diligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment