Thursday, January 20, 2011

Bride of Christ

Who is the Bride of Christ?


There are a total of 16 times that a bride is mentioned in scripture, 9 are n the Old Testament, and are comparative, and 5 are in the New Testament, with 4 of those being in the Book of revelation. Only one passage comes right out and says who the bride is when an angel said to John, “I will show you the bride”.


Rev. 21:9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.
Rev 21:10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,

This is the only place where our Lord says definitely that he will show who the bride is. The others compare the church to her, but may not be the actual bride. The others speak in comparative terms:

Isa 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.

Isa 62:5 For as a young man marrieth a virgin, so shall thy sons marry thee: and as the bridegroom rejoiceth over the bride, so shall thy God rejoice over thee.

Jer 2:32 Can a maid forget her ornaments, or a bride her attire? yet my people have forgotten me days without number.

The rest in the Old testament speak of an earthly bride and compare her glory to the glory and beauty of God and His people.


The first mention of the word “bride” in the New Testament is in John 3:29 and was spoken by John the Baptist;

Joh 3:29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.

Notice that there are “friends” of the bride (Jn 3:29), these also will be at the wedding supper of the Lamb, but as attending to the guests.

Then we go to the Book of Revelation:

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Again, comparative,…“as a bride adorned for her husband.” “As” is a word of comparing one thing looking like another.

Here is where the angel is about to show us who the bride is:

Rev. 21:9 “And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.
Rev. 21:10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,”

The bride is the church, all those who are written in the Book of life.

Rev 21:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment